How to Identify Indigenous Grasses
This one day course will teach you to identify indigenous grasses using 15 samples of common Gauteng grass species.
The course presenter is Monica Hepplewhite.
- The structure of grasses and an introduction to Fritz van Oudtshoorn’s book “Guide to Grasses of Southern Africa”. (+/- 90 minutes)
- Using the key in van Oudshoorn’s book to identify the 15 grass samples. (2 sessions of 90 – 120 minutes each)
- A guided walk in to see the grasses in habitat at Lesokeng. (About 45 minutes)
You will need:
- A copy of Frits van Oudtshoorn’s book “Guide to Grasses of Southern Africa”. (Published by Briza, available from Takealot for about R328.)
- A high strength magnifying glass or jewellers’ loupe – mine is a 10X-18mm. (Loupes can be purchased online at Wantitall for approximately R350.)
- Pen and paper on a clip board for notes.
- An old telephone directory to press your grass samples.
- Magic tape or masking tape (for marking samples).
The course will be held in the Bea Thompson Hall at Witkoppen Wildflower Nursery, 363 Valley Road, North Riding.
A course is scheduled for Saturday, 16 March 2019.
- Start: 8:00 for 8:30
- End: 16:00 – 16:30
Two short tea breaks, one in the morning and a second before the walk. Coffee / tea / cold water / biscuits for tea time will be supplied.
A longer lunch break around mid-day, please supply your own eats.
- The course will cost R550.00 per delegate
- or R500.00 per person for couples or groups of 3 or more.
To book or inquire about the courses
phone Monica on 082 550 1503 or Malcolm on 082 900 8324
or contact us by email email@example.com
or via the message form on the Contact Us page.