How to Identify Indigenous Grasses
29 February 2020
This one day course will teach you to identify indigenous grasses using 15 samples of common Gauteng grass species.
The course presenter is Monica Hepplewhite.
- The structure of grasses and an introduction to Fritz van Oudtshoorn’s book “Guide to Grasses of Southern Africa”. (+/- 90 minutes)
- Using the key in van Oudshoorn’s book to identify the 15 grass samples. (2 sessions of 90 – 120 minutes each)
- A guided walk to see the grasses in habitat at Lesokeng. (About 45 minutes)
You will need:
- A copy of Frits van Oudtshoorn’s book “Guide to Grasses of Southern Africa”. (Published by Briza, available from Takealot for about R355.)
- A high strength magnifying glass or jewellers’ loupe – mine is a 10X-18mm. (Loupes can be purchased online at Wantitall for between R450 – R550.)
- Pen and paper on a clip board for notes.
- An old telephone directory to press your grass samples.
- Magic tape or masking tape (for marking samples).
The course will be held in the Bea Thompson Hall at Witkoppen Wildflower Nursery, 363 Valley Road, North Riding.
A course is scheduled for Saturday, 25 February 2020.
- Start: 8:00 for 8:30
- End: 16:00 – 16:30
Two short tea breaks, one in the morning and a second before the walk. Coffee / tea / cold water / biscuits for tea time will be supplied.
A longer lunch break around mid-day, please supply your own eats.
- The course will cost R650.00 per delegate
- or R550.00 per person for couples or groups of 3 or more.
To book or inquire about the courses
phone Monica on 082 550 1503 or book on 011 516 0262
or contact us by email email@example.com
or via the message form on the Contact Us page.